Maintaining Healthy People and Operations
The health and safety of our employees, clients, and partners is our top priority as we continue to navigate these challenging times.
KMC has taken substantial measures to protect the health and safety of our workforce and to ensure we can provide our essential services to our valued clients.
KMC has employees dedicated to researching the latest information and guidance from all credible sources, including the Centre for Disease Control (CDC), and Alberta Health Services (AHS).
The Senior and Executive Leadership Team conducts virtual Town Halls with all our employees each week to ensure our people are informed of the latest updates and that their training is current.
Steps KMC has taken as a Business
KMC’s business continuity plans for our field operations and corporate office include practical guidelines and standards on safeguarding employee health and safety during COVID-19 Pandemic. We have successfully executed a risk-based approach and mitigation measures to ensure healthy people and operations.
Enhanced Hygiene Protocols
Dedicated workforce in place to ensure best practice hygiene protocols.
- Sanitized mining fleet, company supplied buses, and crew trucks after each shift.
- Ensured office complexes and high touch surfaces are disinfected frequently.
- Equipped all assets with disinfectant cleaning solution with proper WHMIS labeling.
- Trained all employees in the safe handling of cleaning products.
- Followed thorough cleaning checklist and ensured signed-off.
Installed Barriers & Visual Aids to Promote Physical Distancing
Implemented measures to ensure physical distancing is maintained.
- Provided safety bulletins and line-ups to employees via their email addresses prior to shift.
- Performed toolbox talks over the two-way radios.
- Installed visual aids in common areas to identify two-meter buffer zones.
- Fitted clear poly sheeting as barriers in KMC busing where seating is limited.
- Posted visual line marking and a limit on people in aisles in locker rooms.
- Restricted all gatherings to a maximum of 15 people.
Implemented Pandemic Risk Mitigation & Reporting Procedures
Carried out daily health surveys to gather important health data from our employees.
- Performed fit for duty checks including verbal surveys and monitored employee temperature prior to shift.
- Instigated clear process for isolation of symptomatic employees.
- Reported daily updates and consistent communication with our teams.
- Added procedures to ensure only healthy employees return to work.
Maintained Critical Inventories of PPE & Other Supplies
Ensured critical parts and PPE are available.
- Sourced critical parts and inventory early.
- Published standards for the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and infection prevention protocols.
- Provided employees with the required PPE to perform their duties safely both on and off-site.
- Outlined appropriate use of surgical masks, N95 masks, gloves and safety glasses.
- Encouraged employees to use KMC supplied CV-19 PPE outside of work.
Protected Public Facing Employees
Ensured the safety of our employees both at work and while interacting with the general public.
- Utilized face masks or face shields, gloves and safety glasses where barriers are not in place.
- Installed of clear plastic barriers.
- Requested employees call in advance for any parts they require from the warehouse.
- Designated pick-up zone in warehouse, eliminating direct contact with employees.
Guaranteed Training Program Continuity
Training is an important part of ensuring business continuity. KMC has implemented measures to keep our training program on track.
- Utilized a face mask or face shield, gloves and safety glasses
- Installed barriers in between seats in certain mining equipment when physical distancing protocols cannot be met.
- Trained employees “classroom style” while maintaining appropriate physical distancing.
Offered Additional Mitigation Measures
Offered the following additional mitigation measures to protect our employees, clients, partner and the community.
- No Visitor Policy
Communicated a clear no visitor policy at our operations and offices to reduce risks.
- Work from Home
Instructed non-essential staff to support our operations from home. Virtual office solutions rolled out in advance of work from home program. Conference rooms limited for Essential Staff.
- Employee Assistance Program
Educated our employees about programs in-place to assist them. Mental health is important to maintaining safety focus.
- Restricted Work-Related Travel
Tightened travel guidelines for employees commuting directly from home to their office / site location. Installed barriers in equipment to limit person to person contact.
Responded to the Challenge
KMC has been through many challenges over its 70 years history, and like most businesses, we are being affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic. As always, the safety of our people comes before anything else. The KMC team is doing everything possible to maintain our workforce and support our clients and industry during these unprecedented times. Our team is monitoring the situation around the clock to ensure the health, safety, and security of our employees and the safe continuity of our operations.