Reporting to the Director – Asset Management, the Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for providing engineering solutions to reliability and mechanical design issues within KMC’s mining operations and asset life cycle management along with performing special projects on an ad hawk basis. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for promoting the KMC safety culture, adhering to all provincial and federal laws, KMC policy, internal controls and practices, while maintaining the highest level of professionalism and upholding the values of KMC Mining.
• Provide engineering solutions to reliability issues and assist with the rollout of continuous improvement initiatives;
• Assist with implementing and leading new projects to optimize the whole life management of assets (heavy mining equipment) in order to achieve maximum organizational value;
• Research and evaluate new technologies and/or equipment to improve operational efficiency and asset reliability;
• Development and implementation of equipment standards;
• Assist with the identification and implementation of new procedures and processes related to the maintenance of assets;
• Lead a small team of graduate mechanical engineers in support of fleet reliability and data management;
• Provide minor design and drafting for workshop tooling and equipment modifications;
• Assist with setting up work controls systems to ensure that standards of performance, quality, environmental, safety and costs are met;
• Understand and provide support for the maintenance planning function as requested;
• Analyze current and historic asset and component costing to identify opportunities for improvement;
• Analyze and investigate root causes of equipment failure;
• Assist with the creation of business cases on several mechanical issues;
• Gather and verify data, ensuring its accuracy and distribution to stakeholders;
• Maintain in-depth relations with members of the maintenance management team and participate in key decisions affecting company assets;
• Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders including KMC Partners and other industry affiliates;
• Report risk issues to the Maintenance Management Team;
• Other duties as assigned;
• Undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
• Professional Engineer Designation
• 5-10 years’ mining and heavy civil industry experience.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizing, attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
• Collaborative and performance orientated.
• Strong ability to work as part of a support team and adapt to changing stakeholder requirements.
• Tactful and diplomatic.
• Conflict resolution skills.
*Note: other combinations or types of education and experience will be considered.