Senior Health and Safety Advisor
Senior Health & Safety Advisor
Reporting to the General Manager the Sr. Health & Safety Advisor ensures the development, facilitation, implementation and maintenance of workplace safety programs within a Mining environment. In addition, to advise on safety and training issues that arise on a day to day basis. The Sr. Health & Safety Advisor is also responsible for promoting the KMC safety culture, adhering to all provincial and federal laws, KMC policy, internal controls and practices, while maintaining the highest level of professionalism and upholding the values of KMC Mining Corporation.
- Ensure compliance with legislative and non-legislative requirements. In addition, ensure customer expectations are met or exceeded.
- Develop and implement training for employees, supervisors, and management in Health, Safety & Environmental related courses and seminars.
- Plan and coordinate health, safety, and environmental aspects of health, safety, and environmental
- Consult/coach management in matters of Health, Safety, and Environment.
- Develop and hold presentations for management, supervision, employees, and customers.
- Conduct internal audits and inspections on KMC sites.
- Review and maintain up to date knowledge of Canadian Health, Safety, and Environment issues and trends.
- Coach and inform employees in Health, Safety, and Environmental requirements and responsibilities.
- Attend conferences, training, and seminars relating to management, supervision, health, safety, or environmental topics.
- Review KMC’s Safety Management System, policies, practices, and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Train and mentor other health and safety team members.
- Identify and provide solutions for problem areas regarding Health, Safety or Environment.
- Receive, review, and trend near misses, job safety observations, inspections, field level risk assessments, and other safety initiatives.
- Prepare weekly, monthly and annual reports for management around leading and lagging indicators.
- Assist in the preparation for site safety meetings.
- Serve as a resource for management, supervision, and employees regarding all Health, Safety & Environmental issues and questions.
- Provide feedback and advice to improve Health, Safety and Environmental performance.
- Ensure required safety training is up to date for all employees.
- Participate in the investigation process including creating safety bulletins and sharing learnings with other departments and employees.
- Participate in the safety steering committee & offer recommendations and solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Health and Safety related fields of study is required. *
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a related role;
- Previous mining industry experience preferred;
- Previous unionized work environment is required.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to provide specialized advice and recommendations in a particular technical area of expertise to internal colleagues, senior leadership and/or key clients;
- Ability to set realistic timelines and clear accountabilities for work;
- Sets challenging but realistic goals;
- Responds decisively and quickly to emerging opportunities or risks;
- Builds and promotes a safe and healthy, respectful workplace;
- Constantly provides regular feedback, acknowledges success and the need for improvement;
- Often establishes regular and comprehensive exchanges of ideas with individuals and the team;
- Sensitivity and the ability to keep employee information confidential;
- Working knowledge of the Canadian Model, Employment Standards Code, & Occupational Health and Safety;
- Thorough understanding of Health & Safety best practices and procedures.