Reporting to the Manager, Estimating the Senior Estimator’s main responsibility is to provide estimates on multi-scale civil works and earthworks projects for bidding (request for proposal) in a timely and efficient manner. The Estimator will analyze, evaluate and provide advice and recommendations on potential civil or earthworks projects.
- Prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of full cost estimates on civil and/or earthworks projects for tender or business development activities.
- Prepare materials, labour and equipment cost estimations, plans, estimates and specifications required to successfully bid and execute projects.
- Analyze opportunities, packages and proposals received; reviewing specifications and information to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, schedule or availability of materials.
- Manage bid proposal process (providing for process improvements) and ensure bid submissions are prepared and coordinated with all required participants, including; written documents, execution plans, photos & graphics up to the completed product “ready for submission”.
- Review all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness, prior to formal submission.
- Develop and monitor associated project schedules in support of operations management.
- Evaluate and recommend allowances for indirect costs, design unknowns, escalation and contingency.
- Prepare and maintain a list of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Establish standard unit costs, labour rates, equipment rates and productivity factors.
- Participate in review meetings with clients.
- Support other departments, as required, in preparing estimates for other projects.
- Provide technical assistance for contracts and change orders as required.
- Maintain historical bidding results (ie, win, loss; and reasons for both).
- Coordinating the equipment forecasts with the site managers and preparing monthly financial forecasts.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree in civil or mining engineering or construction management an asset. However, CET’s will be considered.
- 10+ years relevant experience in estimating civil works / earthworks projects.
- Proficient in using Estimating software to conduct estimates.
- High level of customer focus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong collaborator and team work skills.
- Strong problem solving, analytical and attention to detail.
- Construction Safety Training System certification.